With international travel on the back-burner, what better time to ignite our Travel Features with a true South Island gem. Edgewater Resort is Wanaka’s only lakefront accommodation and wedding venue. The stunning lakeshores and dramatic peaks never cease to provide an awe-inspiring backdrop which will make your getaway (whether it be to get wed, attend as a guest, or just to stay) an indelible one.
The Edgewater Allure
Etched in unmistakable Central Otago landscape, Edgewater Resort embodies the heart of Wanaka’s natural state; delightfully lucid, yet always intangible in some form. Full of alpine charm across all seasons, Edgewater memories under the montane stars will last an eternity.
With sweeping views across one of New Zealand’s most charismatic lakes and up to the monumental and all encompassing alpine peaks, just arriving at Edgewater brings a grounding experience that only Central Otago can muster in an instant. From any Edgewater nook, run with the mood of the lake, ever-changing but constant, majestic fuel for the soul.
The Wedding Venue
Edgewater really is just that – a wedding venue and accommodation situated right on the lake, and if you were any closer, you’d be dipping your toes in the glacial waters.
Full of boundless beauty and awash with a relaxed, natural atmosphere, Edgewater’s carefully curated grounds are set for an outdoor ceremony against the serene lakeside locale. For the reception, the stone schist Pavilion, with full skylights and floor to ceiling glass windows/doors heighten your sense of place in the small slice of southern hemisphere paradise. The night sky in Wanaka is an entirely divine experience and the perfect celestial backdrop to swoon the night away under the stars.
If a New Zealand elopement is more your style, Edgewater has a beautiful tailored elopement package (including the Honeymoon Suite) that can attest to any small-scale wedding requirements.
Accommodation and more
Whether you’re looking for a hotel room, one or two bedroom apartment, all of Edgewater’s accommodation options are situated to soak up either the voluminous loch and soaring peaks or manicured garden views. Each room has a patio or balcony to enjoy fresh moments with a coffee or bottle of bubbles.
Wineglass Cafe is open daily until late. Enjoy the lakeside ambience out on the terrace or inside next to the open fire. With stunning menus and exquisite New Zealand wines to compliment all palettes, Wineglass Cafe is host to all dining experiences. Foundational in their magnification of New Zealand cuisine, Wineglass also hosts an après-ski menu, Sunday roasts, high tea, a scone menu and a craft beer menu.
The Wider View
If you’re at Edgewater for a few days, there’s plenty to do within your immediate locale:
- Once you’ve settled in and taken in the ambit of your environs, wander the grounds and the lakefront and head to Wineglass Cafe to check out their seasonal menu and sample the region’s finest wines.
- Indulge at Element – Edgewater’s onsite day spa. Element has a large range of treatment and relaxation options using sustainable Elemis products. If you’re there with a group of friends, meet at the Wineglass Cafe for a bubbles and a cheese platter, then head to Element together for a relaxing spa party.
- For the active relaxers, you can hire mountain bikes to explore Wanaka, have a hit on the all-weather tennis courts, or practice some putting on their nine whole green.
- If you’re there during the summer, Edgewater runs yoga on the lawn (could you imagine a dreamier yoga spot?!).
- After a day of exploring, skiing, hiking, and/or wine touring, unwind in the spa pools and sauna.
- For a full winery experience, Rippon Vineyard is just a stone’s throw away… not to mention a whole wine region right at your fingertips.
- If you’re in need of more activities and tips, Edgewater has a comprehensive seasonal itinerary on their website so that you can get to know Wanaka.
Photography by Samantha Gerard | Words by Isabella McKay